The Vancouver Art Gallery is the largest Canadian art museum west of Toronto and the fourth largest in Canada.
The gallery has a mixture of historical and contemporary exhibitions of painting, sculpture, graphic arts, photography and video.
Founded in 1931, The Vancouver Art Gallery is located in old Provincial Courthouse in downtown Vancouver. The building dates from 1910 and was renovated by architect Arthur Erickson in 1983 when the new courthouse was built.
The permanent collection covers Canadian art, Dutch paintings from the 17th and 18th centuries, modern British paintings and sculpture, and painting and drawings by Emily Carr from the largest permanent collection of her work in Canada. At any one time there is usually also a featured exhibition, and you can tell what this is by walking or driving past the Georgia Street side of the building where there is usually a large banner hanging.
The most significant features of the Gallery for visitors are the four floors of exhibits, the cafe and the shop. The cafe serves standard fare but has a patio overlooking Robson Square which is nice on a sunny day.